Are you a Turkish citizen looking to visit Europe?
Since Turkey does not have Visa-free access to the Schengen Area, you must apply for a Schengen Visa to enter Europe.
Many of our readers have inquired about the process for applying for a Schengen Visa from Turkey, and for good reason.
Turkey is one of the countries with the highest number of Schengen Visa applications.
The latest Schengen Visa statistics show that more than 270 million Schengen Visa applications have been submitted from Turkey in 2021, placing it as the second country with the highest number of applications submitted, trailing only behind Russia.
So, if you are from Turkey and want to apply for a Schengen Visa for Europe, read on.
In this post, we break down the application process for Turkish citizens so you can learn more about the rules and increase your chances of approval.
Table of contents:
1. Schengen Visa from Turkey: What you need to know
If you are from Turkey and want to travel to the Schengen Area, you might have some questions about the application process.
Below are the most frequently asked questions we received from our readers.
1.1. Who Can Apply for a Schengen Visa in Turkey?
To apply for a Schengen Visa in Turkey, you need to either be a holder of a Turkish passport or live in Turkey under a permanent or temporary residence permit.
Please be advised that if you are a foreign national living in Turkey under a residence permit, you may be eligible to enter Europe Visa-free.
That depends on your country of citizenship. While some countries are exempted from the Schengen Visa requirements, others must get a Visa in order to enter Europe.
To learn which countries need (or don’t need) a Schengen Visa to travel to Europe, please check out this post: Who Needs A Schengen Visa To Go To Europe (And Who Doesn’t)
Make sure you carefully read it when you have some uninterrupted free time as it is extremely important to get familiar with the Schengen Visa policy.
You wouldn’t want to cancel your travel plans at the last minute because you’ve realised that you do not hold a Visa that gives you the right to enter Europe.
1.2. When Is the Right Time to Apply for a Schengen Visa in Turkey?
As per the Schengen Visa Code, you are allowed to submit your application up to 6 months prior to your intended departure date, but not less than 15 business days before your departure date.
The Visas Association team of experts recommends submitting your application at least three weeks prior to your departure date.
1.3. Where Should You Apply for a Schengen Visa in Turkey?
When applying for a Schengen Visa in Turkey, it is important to know where to submit your application.
The Schengen Visa Code requires you to submit your application:
- At the Embassy of the country you will be visiting (if you are visiting only one country)
- At the Embassy of the country where you will be spending most days (if you are visiting multiple Schengen countries)
- At the Embassy of the country you will be entering first (If you are visiting multiple countries for an equal duration)
Please be advised that certain Embassies and Consulates have outsourced the Visa submission to third-party companies.
For example, the Embassy of Spain in Turkey has outsourced the Schengen Visa application process to BLS International.
Or, the Embassy of Italy in Turkey has outsourced the Schengen Visa application process to VFS Global.
1.4. How Much is the Schengen Visa Fee in Turkey?
The cost of the Schengen Visa from Turkey amounts to 80 euros, which roughly converts to 1,664 Turkish lira (TRY).
Do note that this is based on the current exchange rate, and it may be subject to changes without notice.
Additionally, eligible applicants (such as children under 6 years and family members of an EU national) can obtain the Schengen Visa free of charge.
More information about the Schengen Visa fee and the Visa fee exemptions can be found here.
1.5. How Long Can You Stay in Europe with a Schengen Visa from Turkey?
With a Schengen Visa from Turkey, you can stay in Europe for up to 90 days over a 180-day period.
It is extremely important to get familiar with the 90/180-day rule so you avoid overstaying your Visa and violating the Schengen Visa policy.
2. Steps to Apply for a Schengen Visa from Turkey
When applying for a Schengen Visa from Turkey, we recommend you follow the steps below:
- Determine the appropriate Schengen Visa type to apply for based on the purpose of your travel and the duration of your trip.
- Identify the Embassy, Consulate, or Visa Application Centre where you need to submit your application.
- Schedule your Schengen Visa appointment. Make sure you book your appointment well in advance, as Embassies may have limited availability, especially during peak seasons.
- Collect the documents you need. The full list of documents required to obtain a Visa for Europe is available here.
- Attend your scheduled Schengen Visa interview. During the interview with the Embassy officers, you will be required to submit your application and answer a set of questions. You will also have to provide your biometric data and pay the Visa fee.
- Wait for the Embassy to process your application. Typically, it takes 15 working days to get an answer on your Schengen Visa application from Turkey. However, there are some situations when this time frame may be extended up to 45 days (depending on your individual situation and the volume of requests).
- If your application is approved, you will receive a Schengen Visa sticker on your passport containing important information about your trip. Make sure you understand all the labels on your Visa sticker.
- If the Embassy rejects your application, you have the option to appeal the decision or submit a new application. Further information on how to appeal a rejected Schengen Visa application can be found here.
Conclusion: If you are unfamiliar with the necessary steps to obtain a Schengen Visa from Turkey, the process can be overwhelming.
Our team at Visas Association knows firsthand how frustrating it can be to navigate the complicated application process.
That’s why we’ve developed a tool that will make your life easier: the Schengen Embassy Requirements Report (SERR).
This powerful tool analyses your unique circumstances and provides you with a tailored list of documents that you’ll need to obtain your Visa.
The best part? We’re currently offering this service for as little as $7, which is about the same price as a cup of coffee in Europe.
We understand that it can be unfair that some travellers have Visa-free access to Europe while others are required to jump through hoops to obtain a Schengen Visa.
This is exactly why we created the SERR report – to help make the application process as seamless and stress-free as possible for you.
If you have any questions about the Schengen Visa application process from Turkey, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Our team is always here to assist you and ensure you have the best possible chance of getting your Schengen Visa approved.